On Saturday, 02/19/2011, at 3:45am my little girl turned 11. ELEVEN! I can’t believe how quickly time has flown by. It seems like only yesterday I was cuddling with Hope like I cuddle with Atticus.
To celebrate, Hope decided to have a rainbow themed sleepover. Hope spent the morning on the front porch with her little brother making paper garlands out of construction paper:
Of course we had to make rainbow cupcakes. We used a white cake mix and then divided the mix into several different bowls. Next we added gel food coloring. The final step was to layer each different color in the cupcake pan. I used pale liners so the colors would show well:
Next, vanilla frosting mixed with blue food coloring:
To top things off, I added marshmallow clouds and rainbow candy!
Hope had a wonderful time with her friends. They giggled well into the night (1am to be exact; Atticus was up for the partying due to teething).
Happy Birthday, Peanut!!!
Yesterday Hope stayed home from school because of a sore throat, sinus headache and some sniffles. By two in the afternoon she was feeling much better and I began feeling crappy. My throat hurts and I’ve been blowing my nose in Starbucks for the past hour (I’m sure the other customers are more than thrilled).
While I was feeling ill yesterday, I flipped through my journal and found something interesting. On January 31st I listed accomplishments and memories from the month and then made another list of things I was looking forward to in September. Seasonal allergies aside, there are many exciting things happening in September and August was a good month for me so I thought I’d revive the list.
Sam's DIY Dali moustache...
Looking to September:
- another baby shower
- Hope’s soccer season begins
- Carl’s R.I.P reading challenge (more on that later)
- finishing the baby blanket
- Autumn baking (pumpkin and apple everything)
- leaves changing and cooler breezes
- breaking out my Docs
- getting internet at the house (hopefully next week)
- baking bread with friends
- completing the nursery
- adoption finalized
- library book sale
- new embroidery projects
- pumpkin spice lattes
- black fingernail polish
- childbirth class
- crafting thank you cards
- paying off my credit cards
- Sam’s 29th birthday
I’m ready, September!
I can’t believe I haven’t blogged since Wednesday! The last half of my week off from work flew by. I accomplished a great deal, but, alas, I didn’t have the time, energy, or any real inclination to blog.
So what did I do from Wednesday evening until today?
- Started a biography of Mary Queen of Scots
- baked Snickerdoodle cupcakes
- had my friend, Meghan, over for dinner
- went to lunch with my friend Erin and Hope
- bought the new Arcade Fire album and obsessively listened to it
- purchased yarn for a baby blanket and began furiously crocheting
- watched several movies with Sam
- had a day at the pool with Sam and Hope (I’m slightly burned)
- went to dinner with Sam and Hope
- cleaned the house
- did massive grocery shopping
- reorganized the pantry
- finished back to school shopping
- packed Hope off for her first day as a fifth grader
- packed Sam off at for his new job
- went back to work after 9 days of vacation and tried to catch up on work
WHEW! I’m tired and amazed that summer vacation has flown by so quickly. Between the two of us, I’m a bit glad that I’m back to my regular schedule. I miss my routine and I honestly feel like I get more done when I have some order in my life. Alright folks, I’ve a busy week this week but I am determined to get some reading done.